
A frightening scene unfolded near the White House after a 21-year-old man was shot and killed following a gun attack at a security checkpoint. Authorities identified the suspect as Nasire Best, a young man from Maryland who reportedly opened fire on officers before being shot by the Secret Service.
According to officials, the incident happened on Saturday evening around 6pm when the suspect approached a heavily guarded checkpoint near the White House. Investigators said he suddenly pulled a revolver from his bag and started firing directly at officers stationed there. Secret Service agents immediately returned fire, hitting the gunman during the exchange.
Emergency teams rushed the suspect to a nearby hospital, but he later died from his injuries. The terrifying shooting also left a bystander injured. Authorities are still trying to determine whether that person was hit by bullets fired by the suspect or by officers responding to the attack.
The shooting caused panic around the White House area. Security teams quickly locked down the entire complex for about an hour as officers searched the surroundings and secured nearby streets. Journalists working inside the White House press area said they heard repeated gunshots ringing out suddenly, forcing reporters and camera crews to run for cover.
One dramatic video shared online by ABC News correspondent Selina Wang captured the frightening moment the gunfire erupted. She was speaking on camera when loud shots could suddenly be heard in the background. The video showed her immediately ducking down in fear while others nearby scrambled to protect themselves.
President Donald Trump was reportedly inside the White House during the incident but was not harmed. Shortly afterward, he released a message thanking the Secret Service and law enforcement officers for what he described as their “swift and professional action” in stopping the attack before it became even worse.
Reports later revealed that the suspect allegedly had a troubled history and had previously come to the attention of authorities around the White House area. Officials claimed he had been seen multiple times near security checkpoints and restricted areas over the past year and a half while living in Washington DC.
Court records and reports from major news outlets said the young man had previously been arrested after creating disturbances near the White House. In one earlier incident, he reportedly blocked traffic close to the building and was later taken to a psychiatric hospital for evaluation. Weeks later, he was arrested again after unlawfully entering a restricted pedestrian area near a White House checkpoint.
Authorities also said the suspect made disturbing statements during previous arrests. According to court documents, he allegedly claimed he was Jesus Christ and said he wanted to be arrested. Investigators also found social media posts believed to be linked to him where he reportedly described himself as “the son of God” and made threatening remarks involving President Trump.
Police officers, Secret Service agents, and heavily armed security personnel flooded the area after the shooting. Streets surrounding the White House were blocked off as helicopters and emergency vehicles responded to the chaos. Images from the scene showed evidence markers scattered across the ground while officers stood guard on rooftops watching the area through binoculars.
The shocking attack has once again raised concerns about security around one of the most protected buildings in the world. Many people online expressed fear over how close the gunman managed to get before opening fire, while others praised the fast response from security officers that likely prevented a much larger tragedy.



